About Metro Taxi
Metro Taxi, Your Home-Grown, Locally-Owned Connecticut Taxi Company
In 1987, Metro Taxi purchased 109 permits from a failing taxi company that had a fleet of 14 cars. Back then, there were only two other taxi cabs; each with three permits. Metro Taxi started with 15 new cabs, and through hard work, reinvestment and a steadfast customer service ethic, grew into a superbly modern transportation company with computer dispatching, global positioning system (GPS) tracking and 24-hour safe service to the community.
Proud to be a locally-based contributor to the state’s economic development, Metro Taxi currently operates 161 cabs in 16 Connecticut towns and cities with a total population of approximately 640,000. In addition to creating jobs for drivers as independent contractors, Metro Taxi employs a full-time staff of 48 people.
Metro Taxi's continuous improvements to the New Haven area taxi service and infrastructure have fostered the growth of many new taxi companies. Consumer confidence in taxi service has led to more people relying on all forms of mass transportation. Metro Taxi founder and president, Bill Scalzi, has been a friend to area competitors by supporting the applications and growth of several other local taxi companies. He has also been the driving force behind introducing to Connecticut the first wheelchair-accessible taxi service known as Metro Taxi Accessible Service.
While Metro Taxi has built a reputation as the "best" taxi provider in Greater New Haven, as rated by the New Haven Advocate's 83,000 readers for nine consecutive years, the company will not rest on laurels. Through Metro Taxi's affiliate company, Metropolitan Livery, our seven-passenger vans and new Cadillac Escalade ESV offers individuals the medical, recreation, and destination transportation they seek. Whether to the region's airports, medical facilities, casinos, conferences or even a night of fine dining and entertainment, Metropolitan Livery is available for clients who want to get around with ease.
Most recently, Metro Taxi's ongoing innovations have included online computer taxi reservations and security cameras in cabs.
Why Metro Taxi Is Rated "Best!"
- Metro Taxi has a values-based leadership ethic. We are business leaders and community contributors.
- Metro Taxi is Connecticut’s most technologically-advanced, reliable, full-service taxi company.
- Metro Taxi's same-digit phone numbers make it easy for customers to contact us whenever they need transportation: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Metro Taxi's computer dispatch system uses GPS tracking, minimizing customer wait-times.
- Metro Taxi's Customer Service Department features a state-of-the-art telecommunications system to enhance communication between customers, service reps and drivers.
- Metro Taxi routinely checks weather and traffic conditions to inform our drivers of the safest and most direct routes.
- Metro Taxi is Connecticut’s first taxi company to use in-vehicle security cameras for passenger and driver safety.
- Metro Taxi operates wheelchair-accessible cabs to provide equal transportation access for all.
- Metro Taxi offers a suite of charge and debit cards for any transportation need or lifestyle to provide cash-less cab rides.
- Metro Taxi operates clean-burning Compressed Natural Gas taxis.
- Metro Taxi is a Public Access CNG provider, we have our own fueling station.