Metro Taxi Accessible Service
New freedom for persons with disabilities
Metro Taxi is Proud to Offer
Wheelchair-Accessible Taxi Service
Learn About The New Freedom Fund Taxi Voucher Program
We're Helping To Expand the Possibilities For Those Who Use Wheelchairs & Scooters For Mobility
Learn About The Freedom Fund Taxi Voucher Program »
Metro Taxi was the driving force behind newly-passed legislation, effective October 1, 2009, that permitted wheelchair-accessible taxicabs in Connecticut.
Metro Taxi Accessible Service means new freedom for people with mobility disabilities. These taxis comply with The Americans with Disabilities Act and include tie-downs to secure the passenger and his/her wheelchair or scooter offering plenty of headroom easily and comfortably. We offer lowered-floor, rear entry minivans or the new side entry MV-1, a purpose built taxicab made specifically to accommodate passengers with wheelchairs.
The Metro Taxi Accessible Service cab is the state's first ADA-compliant taxicab. It is operated by Metro Taxi drivers who have additional training, and earn the company's requisite customer service ethics qualifications.
Metro Taxi Accessible Service is servicing customers who use wheelchairs and scooters in 13 towns and cities in the Greater New Haven area, 24 hours a day; seven days a week.
For ADA complaints, please call (203) 934-2096 ext. 123 or email us at .
11/21/10- Radio Interview -- Cox Radio's "Healthy Aging Show" Interviews Bill Scalzi About Metro Taxi Accessible Service, the New Freedom Fund Taxi Voucher Program and the Connecticut Wheelchair-Accessible Taxi Service Initiative
Interview 1 | Interview 2 | Interview 3
"Metro Taxi Accessible Service is improving and changing lives. Metro Taxi's new service lets those with disabilities participate much more in family functions and enjoy the same lifestyle luxuries -- movies, restaurants, holiday celebrations -- that others may take for granted. Last week, I drove a man to a private party who had not been out of his house for six months. Metro Taxi Accessible Service is about quality of life!"
- Kevin Flegler, Dedicated Metro Taxi Accessible Service Driver
"Metro Taxi Accessible Service provides a wonderful, much-needed service for those of us who use wheelchairs, or have a variety of mobility disabilities."
- Elaine Kolb, ADAPT, Metro Taxi Accessible Service customer
"Without it, you can’t go anywhere. It’s that simple."
- Ron Zolla,
Devoted Metro Taxi Accessible Service Customer and New Freedom Fund Taxi Voucher Program User
The Department of Services for Persons with Disabilities promotes the coordination of resources for persons with disabilities, responds to the needs of persons with disabilities and monitors and takes appropriate actions to ensure compliance with relevant federal, state and local regulations.
Why Metro Taxi Is Rated "Best!"
- Metro Taxi has a values-based leadership ethic. We are business leaders and community contributors.
- Metro Taxi is Connecticut’s most technologically-advanced, reliable, full-service taxi company.
- Metro Taxi's same-digit phone numbers make it easy for customers to contact us whenever they need transportation: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Metro Taxi's computer dispatch system uses GPS tracking, minimizing customer wait-times.
- Metro Taxi's Customer Service Department features a state-of-the-art telecommunications system to enhance communication between customers, service reps and drivers.
- Metro Taxi routinely checks weather and traffic conditions to inform our drivers of the safest and most direct routes.
- Metro Taxi is Connecticut’s first taxi company to use in-vehicle security cameras for passenger and driver safety.
- Metro Taxi operates wheelchair-accessible cabs to provide equal transportation access for all.
- Metro Taxi offers a suite of charge and debit cards for any transportation need or lifestyle to provide cash-less cab rides.
- Metro Taxi operates clean-burning Compressed Natural Gas taxis.
- Metro Taxi is a Public Access CNG Provider, we have our own fueling station.