Meet Metro Taxi's Owner
"Metro Taxi is the largest, full-service taxi company in Connecticut," explains Founder and President William Scalzi. "We got that way by providing good service to our clients and beneficial contracts to our drivers, by reinvesting in Connecticut's taxi industry and by creating opportunities that offer drivers the flexibility to meet today's two-income family demands."
With his wife, Isabelle, who serves as Vice President and heads Business Development, Bill started West Haven-based Metro Taxi in 1987 with 15 cabs, a dream, an engineering degree and two generations of successful taxi experience behind him. Since then he has grown the business more than 10-fold to a fleet of 161 cabs operated by independent contractors and a full-time staff of 48 employees, which he describes as a "great team."
Business New Haven celebrated Bill as a "2008 Rising Star" and Metro Taxi as "2010 Green Business Leader." Out of 400 members, the West Haven Chamber of Commerce named Bill and Isabelle "2010 Business Persons of the Year." Metro Taxi has also been lauded for its technological advancements by the New Haven Chamber of Commerce. Other marketplace honors include Metro Taxi being cited for exceptional service by Governor M. Jodi Rell and the Connecticut General Assembly, as well as being voted "Best in New Haven" for eight consecutive years by the New Haven Advocate's 83,000 readers. Bill has remained true to a personalized customer service ethic. As a result, Metro Taxi is a hometown taxi company offering big city benefits.
Bill served Connecticut’s taxi industry by participating in the Connecticut Taxi Task Force, which he helped establish. He is also a board member of the Taxicab, Limousine & Paratransit Association, an international organization comprised of more than 1,000 transportation companies. The TLPA named Bill “2010 Taxicab Operator of the Year” in recognition of exceptional dedication to professionalism, customer service and safety. Previously, Bill was a President of the Connecticut Medical Livery Association and the Taxi Association of Connecticut, as well as a former Director of the Paratransit Risk Retention Group of Memphis, Tennessee. Bill serves on other boards within his community.
Prior to founding Metro Taxi, Bill started his career with United Technologies Corporation before joining Yellow Cab in Hartford where he began as General Manager. He and his wife, Isabelle, are both West Haven Rotary members.
Why Metro Taxi Is Rated "Best!"
- Metro Taxi has a values-based leadership ethic. We are business leaders and community contributors.
- Metro Taxi is Connecticut’s most technologically-advanced, reliable, full-service taxi company.
- Metro Taxi's same-digit phone numbers make it easy for customers to contact us whenever they need transportation: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Metro Taxi's computer dispatch system uses GPS tracking, minimizing customer wait-times.
- Metro Taxi's Customer Service Department features a state-of-the-art telecommunications system to enhance communication between customers, service reps and drivers.
- Metro Taxi routinely checks weather and traffic conditions to inform our drivers of the safest and most direct routes.
- Metro Taxi is Connecticut’s first taxi company to use in-vehicle security cameras for passenger and driver safety.
- Metro Taxi operates wheelchair-accessible cabs to provide equal transportation access for all.
- Metro Taxi offers a suite of charge and debit cards for any transportation need or lifestyle to provide cash-less cab rides.
- Metro Taxi operates clean-burning Compressed Natural Gas taxis.
- Metro Taxi is a Public Access CNG Provider, we have our own fueling station.